Another year of blogging is coming to an end and as per previous years (2010 and 2011) here is a summary of of this year’s articles. This year I am grouping the articles into these themes; Social Enterprise, Personal branding, User Experience, Social media in general, Instagram rants, Other articles and Personal thoughts.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. See you in 2013.
- A Social Enterprise view on Klout – First article of 2012 was also one of the most shared tapping into the trend of social scoring but from a Social Enterprise point-of view.
- Burberry Social Enterprise – I’ve been fortunate to be the UX Lead on this fantastic project. This Storify’d article covers public presentations on the project, not least featured as keynote speech at SalesForce’s annual DreamForce and CloudForce events.
- User Experience Design in a Social Enterprise Environment: Connecting the Dots – First part of a three-part series on the topic.
- User Experience Design in a Social Enterprise Environment: A Consistent Experience – Part 2.
- User Experience Design in a Social Enterprise Environment: External Influence & Employee Brands – And part 3.
- Why I re-wrote my LinkedIn profile using Simon Sinek’s “Golden Circle” theory – Last article of the year, but by no means my last use of the Golden Circle.
- My new personal business cards made me reconsider how I promote social media profiles – Still quite proud of this approach and how the cards turned out.
- Employee Brands – An increasingly important topic for everybody.
- Love this: My Twitter activity as an infographic. – Still love it.
- The difference between UX and UI and what it means to your customers – Written with the assistance of good friend and colleague, Windahl Finnigan.
- “Click here” is not bad for your usability – it really isn’t.
- Multi-channel User Experience Visualisation – How to Structure A Story – UX design is evolving, so should the way we use our tools.
- Music is bad for the usability of your website… or is it? – Challenging an established industry-wide view.
- The abusive relationship with digital interfaces – We’re not gonna take it. NO, we aint gonna take it anymore.
- Responsive design – The next evolutionary step in website design – Now, at the end of the year, Responsive Design feels like old hat, but remember that to clients it is still new and something they really need to consider.
- What responsive design brings to multi-lingual interfaces – Looking at detailed deployments of responsive design.
- Urban Legends in Digital: The myth of the 1024px wide design – As designers why do we do it?
- 4 ideas for Details in Responsive Design – What more can we do with responsive design?
- How I would improve Pinterest – I was an avid Pinterest user at the time of writing this, but over the year I have all but abandoned Pinterest… not sure why.
Social media in general
- Is it time for specialisation of roles within Social Media? – Thoughts following a dinner with Mark W Schaefer.
- Getting the full story: Multi-channel storytelling using social media – “Hi! My Name is Loco and I am a Racist” is one of the best, funniest and most emotional books I have read in my life. And how the story expanded in the social media sphere was interesting to follow from a profesisonal point-of-view.
- Is your company responsible for the social media behaviour of your partners? – Based on an odd personal experience as a customer.
- 2012 – The return of the adults – Yep, parents are no longer social media newbies.
- 6 tips to enhance your social media estate using basic website usability practices – Take learnings from one part of digital and apply to another one.
- Smileys, the emotionally-charged alphabet – Have you noticed how long people spend on picking emojis?
- Could Facebook buying Instagram be Flickr’s biggest opportunity? – As a prolific IGer I have been following the evolution of Instagram closely.
- The new Instagram map has killed my desire to geotag my Instagrams – I still hate it.
- This is why I am in two minds about Instagram Web Profiles… – Still not sure.
- Instagram wants to sell your photos? Here are your options and what I am going to do myself – I guess this is it…
- Impressions from “Social Media Governance and the Law” from Social Media Week 2012 – Capturing my live tweets on this increasingly relevant topic.
- Impressions from “Social Media Governance: Six Stories” from Social Media Week 2012 – Capturing my live tweets and instagrams from this all day event hosted by Guy Stephens.
- Love the new website-inspired Burberry shop, but not the payment process – Hoping to write more about the pervasive web in 2013.
- How to create a professional website using WordPress as a non-digital Graphic Designer.
- Why I left the London digital design agency world and joined Capgemini’s UX team – While I am no longer working for Capgemini, the article stands from a consultancy point-of-view.
- Tokyo as seen by a tourist 1 year ago today – Reflecting on the Tsunami disaster in 2011 prior to going back to Tokyo in 2012
- 5 practical steps in handling the social media presence of a deceased – I lost my wife in 2012 after long-term illness. She was very active in Social Media so I set out to capture how I am dealing with her digital estate.
- Does your digital persona = your real life? – How isolated can people become in a digital world where we all try to appear perfect?
- Augmented memories – Thoughts on QR codes on headstones – Following an article on BBC I started thinking about this.
- My 5 favourite books of 2012 – All good reads.